- Free shipping on all orders over $75
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
FNC-17 marks the start of Field Notes fifth year of their Quarterly Editions. In that time, they have explored a wide variety of papers, colors, and printing techniques, but with this new Expedition edition, for the first time, they’ve actually expanded the type of paper used in their notebooks.
Aesthetically, you’ll find an all-new design with plenty to like: a hi-visibility “Antarctic Survey Orange” front cover and “Polar Night Black” back cover, with a subtle varnish effect featuring a topographic map of Antarctica. The body pages feature our popular dot-graph paper printed in light gray.
But the real innovation here is the paper. It’s maybe not even fair to call it paper. The whole book is printed on Yupo Synthetic paper, an amazing tearproof and waterproof paper extruded from polypropylene pellets in Chesapeake, Virginia. Field Notes could go on and on about their new notebooks’ durability and incredible properties (especially in concert with the new Space Pen, FN-19), and we will, in this series of 12 (reasonably) scientific tests
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: waterproof/tearproof Yupo Synthetic 74#C, with thick, brute force applications of “Hi-Visibility Orange” and “Low-Visibility Black” soy-based Saphira inks and a tinted spot varnish.
03. Innards: waterproof/tearproof Yupo Synthetic 57#T with a 1-color application of “Cartographer’s Gray” soy-based Saphira ink. (Use pencil/ballpoint pen for best results.)
04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
05. Bound by a Harris Bookbinder 6-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
06. Corners rounded to 3/8" (9.5mm) by a Challenge DCM round-corner machine.
07. Dot-graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (8.9cm × 13.9cm).
09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.